Parenthood in prison
part of Corrections in South Africa
Sometimes fathers and mothers are incarcerated, but this does not end their role as parents. How do they, and their children, deal with this situation?
In addition, in South Africa mothers of infants are allowed to keep the child with them. How do they experience this, as well as perhaps eventually having to separate from the child? What are the advantages and disadvantages for the child? And what about non-South African women who are incarcerated in South Africa or South African women who are incarcerated abroad?
Here are some resources collected by Olibile Mosimanekgosi and Eduard Fourie to help family members of people who are in prison:
(1) Youtube video - Sesame Street: Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration - Animation: Visiting Dad in Prison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3sf7O5mrlY
(2) A child's experience of her mother going to prison by Ross Anderson http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-17627258
(3) The Night Dad Went To Jail: Shocking children's book explains what happens when a family member gets arrested By NINA GOLGOWSKI http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2241898/The-Night-Dad-Went-Jail-Childrens-book-explains-happens-family-member-gets-arrested.html
(4) My Daddy's In Jail Paperback – Large Print, June 30, 2015 by Anthony Curcio https://www.amazon.com/My-Daddys-Jail-Anthony-Curcio/dp/0692470433/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61s28KhfZzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=998VYAVR8BGVZWFE2VEZ
(5) My Mom Went To Jail http://therainbowproject.net/my-mom-went-to-jail/
(6) My Daddy Is in Jail: Story, Discussion Guide, and Small Group Activities for Grades K-5 Paperback – November, 2003 by Janet M. Bender https://www.amazon.com/My-Daddy-Jail-Discussion-Activities/dp/1889636487
(7)A Mom who is raising a baby within a correctional facility at Washington's (USA)largest corrections center for women, 871 inmates are serving their sentences. YouTube video-Born behind bars: inmates raising children in prison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11U6Lh5Fo2Q
(8)International initiatives on solutions or programmes for Incarcerated Fathers. Please visit http://www.fatherhood.org/fatherhood-program-corrections for more on research and evidence based reentry program InsideOut Dad® and a variety of other resources such as the InsideOut Dad® Guide to Family Ties and InsideOut Dad® Christian help to break the intergenerational cycle of incarceration and lower recidivism rates http://www.fatherhood.org/fatherhood/ky-doc-shows-fatherhood-training-reduces-recidivism-and-improves-behavior.